About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Regional Tax Manager (RTM), West Africa, update and implement tax strategies to facilitate lowering of effective tax rates
- Work with RTM, WA to identify ideas and opportunities (and communicate high value ideas to relevant parties for implementation)
- Organising / participation in brainstorming sessions and leveraging off local advisors and other contacts (e.g. networking with local banks)
Tax Reporting and Forecasting
- Preparation of workings for Standard Chartered Bank Ghana Limited’s corporation tax reports for the purposes of the financial pack.
- Ensure correct reporting in the tax packs
- Provide assistance in preparation of forecasts of the Standard Chartered Bank Ghana Limited’s tax liabilities in line with the ETR management programme and monitor progress towards achieving the forecast ETR.
- Prepare reports to the Financial Controller and Regional Tax Manager, West Africa on a timely basis on the various tax provision and tax charge.
- Assistance in preparation of UK Controlled Foreign Company legislation.
Processes (Processes for which the role is responsible under the Operational Risk Framework as 1st & 2nd line; for executing / completing, and for supervising)
Tax Internal Controls
- Review of all corporate tax returns prior to submission
- Support in the monitoring of rolling programme of Health Check Audits and reviews across the region, and implementation of resulting recommendations
Transfer Pricing Risk Management
- Work with other members of Group Tax to minimise transfer pricing exposures
- Work with the RTM, WA to ensure transactions between Group companies are on an arm’s length basis and evidenced by consistent documentation.
- Assist in ensuring an efficient country cost booking policy that meets both local and Group requirements and identify transfer pricing planning opportunities for tax efficient cost and revenue booking is in place.
- Help maximise TP planning opportunities by working alongside RTM, Group Tax and Business Managers to ensure good working knowledge of business and accounting issue
Risk Management (Responsibilities Under Risk Management Framework – both execution and supervisory)
Tax Risk Management
Provide effective support in the management of country Tax Risk, including:
- Adherence to Global Tax Policies and Procedures across the Country and, as appropriate, the maintenance of Country Policy Addenda
- The maintenance, communication and implementation of an appropriate set of Departmental Operating
- Procedures and Tax Procedures and Practice Manual within the Tax Function
- The maintenance, communication and implementation of an appropriate set of tax risk management-related operating procedures to all relevant departments within the countries outside the Tax Function
- To adhere to the agreed Tax KCSA/CST plans and approach to Operational Risk Management and reporting
- To adhere to the Financial Control Policy (FCP) as pertains taxation.
Ensure adherence to all Tax Processes, Policies and Procedures.
Provision of tax advice to West African SCB Businesses
- Assist with minimisation of VAT, WHT, PAYE and other employment taxes
- Responding to ad-hoc queries
Regulatory & Business conduct (The below is mandatory standard wording, do not remove)
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients;
- Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Ghana Revenue Authority
- External Auditors
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values in country / business unit / team,
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, CPA, CITG or equivalent)
- Minimum 7 years post-qualification experience at a major firm of chartered accountants and/ or an international group, preferably with a banking or financial sector bias
- Knowledge of Ghana tax laws and practice. Knowledge of West African countries and/or UK tax law would be an advantage.
- Good research and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a ready appreciation of business issues
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated, capable of working without close supervision
- Proficiency in basic computer applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)