The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming Resilience in Northern Ghana (RING) II – Systems Strengthening Activity. This Activity focuses on enhancing the ability of all stakeholders to address poor nutrition and weak resilience in northern Ghana. The RING II – Systems Strengthening activity will result in sustained improvements in the delivery of local services to achieve measurable improvements in the nutrition and resilience of an estimated 85,000 reproductive-aged women and children under five years old.
The position will be based in Tamale, Ghana and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction, long-term programmatic vision, and technical leadership to produce activity results.
- Serve as the activity’s key liaison with USAID and other development partners.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with USAID and local counterparts to ensure effective coordination of activities with relevant ministries; civil society, private sector, and development partners, other USAID and U.S. government-funded initiatives, and others stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and technical support for activity staff and subcontractors to ensure a focus on results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Implement learning approaches to establish a culture of adaptive management that responds to contextual shifts by adapting decision making, resource allocation, and implementation approaches/strategies as necessary.
- Manage country-level project operations and assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables.
- Serve as lead technical advisor providing guidance and oversight to technical staff as needed.
- Oversee the country office and supervise a multi-disciplinary team of experts.
- Manage the project budget and ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports.
- Create management systems in line with Abt’s standard operating procedures, consistent with the needs of the activity.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team and ensures strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations, and internal controls.
Qualification Required & Experience
- Master’s degree in international development, economics, community development, public health or related field.
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible experience implementing multisector international development programs focusing on one or several of the following technical sectors: community resilience and development, agriculture, food security, public health, and/or nutrition.
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role for a multi-sectoral international development program.
- Demonstrated management, leadership, political acumen, and related skills.
- Demonstrated success managing complex donor programs is desired, previous USAID experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in a country with strong security measures required highly preferred.
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with host country governments and international agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
- Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.