Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- Are you in search for a role to manage and direct Security, including protection of staff, facilities, operating sites, equipment assets, social license to operate and reputation, for all company holdings within the Africa Region?
- Do you have the skills to provide guidance and advice to Site Security Managers and other functional Head of Departments and Leads in the Region regarding Security in their functional areas of responsibility?
- We are looking for a leader to provide functional leadership to the Regional Security function, including managing, coaching and mentoring the Security team to guarantee the implementation of the Security strategy, policies, procedures and delivering value adding services, advice and coaching to the respective business functions.
In This Role You Will
- Develop and implement the Regional Security policy and verify that it is consistent and aligned with the Global Security strategy as well as with the Regional Business strategy and policies.
- Implement the Newmont Global Security standards, initiatives and programs and guarantee compliance through inspections and audits.
- Develop a long term sustainable local sourcing and importation policy, at both “local local” and national level.
- Coordinate and liaise with the Regional Leadership team to prioritize Security initiatives based on guidance from the Security Threat
- Risk Assessments (TRA) and Security Vulnerability Assessments (SVA) and also implement appropriate methodologies in order to ensure sound financial management and control.
- Review and maintain current Emergency Evacuation Tactical and Trigger Action plans for Ghana and Ethiopia and implement new planning format in conjunction with Site Security Managers and HR Group (HR, Site Services, L&D and Safety).
- Develop and guide enabled, engaged, performance-driven and diverse Security team and contractors by providing technical knowledge and leadership.
- Implement and drive the Security Sustainability strategy, to communicate Newmont values and culture to suppliers and customers.
- Conduct TRA and SVA with mitigation actions and coordinate the design of contingency plans with Site Leadership, Site Security Managers, Exploration / Project Managers and other functional leads to prevent and respond to operational security threats and breaches.
- Develop and maintain Regional Security investigations and intelligence collection activities in conjunction with the Site Security Managers to provide Regional and Corporate Leadership with relevant Security information affecting operations, Newmont reputation and Security threats and vulnerabilities.
- Verify that all Security activities are undertaken in accordance with applicable legislation and regulations, company policies and procedures, including those associated with environmental and social responsibility to entrench a culture of discipline.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A relevant degree in Security, Intelligence, Forensics, Political Science or a Military / Police qualification plus formal registration with an appropriate professional body / association plus a MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Internationally recognised professional qualification and certification in Security preferably. ASIS or equivalent International certification, e.g. Physical Security Professional (PSP) or Certified Protection Professional (CPP) or any equivalent international Security certification.
- Substantial knowledge of gold mining or broader hard rock mining with an extensive understanding of security operations, laws, regulations, policies, standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Substantial knowledge of military, police or intelligence services, with strong management and leadership proficiency including command control and collaboration.
- Between 15 - 18 years’ plant / site / facilities security management and operational experience of which at least 10 years should be in international mining environments with 6 years of senior management experience with multi-functional, broad-based security responsibilities, which should ideally include multi-site operations.
- Demonstrated successes in working collaboratively in multi-cultural teams in expatriate settings. Work in developing countries, specifically in West Africa preferred.