The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Regional Director for the upcoming Resilience in Northern Ghana (RING) II - Systems Strengthening Activity. This Activity focuses on enhancing the ability of all stakeholders to address poor nutrition and weak resilience in northern Ghana. The RING II - Systems Strengthening activity will result in sustained improvements in the delivery of local services to achieve measurable improvements in the nutrition and resilience of an estimated 85,000 reproductive-aged women and children under five years old.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP), the Regional Director will provide leadership and management oversight to technical activities for regional offices and district activities to achieve project goals.
This position will require frequent travel regions and districts where the program is being implemented. The activity will work in the following regions: Northern, North East, Upper East, and Upper West.
The position will be based in Tamale, Ghana and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the technical and administrative operations of regional offices.
- Provide technical and administrative oversight for the implementation of a results-oriented program strategy regionally and in specific states.
- Act as a member of the Senior Management Team, with input into strategy, work plans, reviews, and program communications.
- Facilitate collaboration across program components and with advisors to ensure implementation of activities in each state.
- Direct and innovate cross-cutting program activities across sub regional teams, including for livelihoods, nutrition and hygiene, community and local governance, social inclusion, and behavior change.
- Assist in strategic annual work planning of regional activities and ensure that quality operational plans, budgets, and reports are submitted as per contract agreements.
- Provide input to the project’s research and monitoring and evaluation activities and work with Monitoring, Evaluation, and
- Learning (MEL) team to incorporate lessons learned to enhance project results.
- Provide input to regular status and progress reports to USAID.
- Provide inputs to the finance and administration team necessary for project budget projections, expenditures, tracking and reporting.
- Collaborate actively with project staff and stakeholders and promote a culture of collaboration within the project.
- Ensure that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared.
- Travel frequently to sub-regional offices for compliance, training, and tracking consistency across implementation activities.
Qualification Required & Experience
- Master’s degree in management, international development, business administration, community development, or a related field with at least 8 years of professional experience or Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of professional experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing the implementation of field-level activities, including working with district government officials and local civil society/community-based organizations in northern Ghana.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrated team building and team management leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Experience working with international development organizations in Ghana required; USAID experience highly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Verbal and written fluency in English.
- Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Location: Northern, North East, Upper East, and Upper West