In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource – its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa’s abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million young leaders to opportunities by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019. ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group.
ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution (software engineering, devops, data science, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. To cement this, through our legal entity African Leadership International (ALI), we have signed an agreement to acquire Silicon Valley-based Holberton Inc. – a project-based, college alternative educating the next generation of software engineers. This will give us ownership of the advanced technology program that will enable us to provide global organizations access to significant untapped pools of talent that can bridge the growing global shortage of technology talent. For more on this, please read this article here.
The Room our talent placement arm, is a community that our young talent join to access global work opportunities. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs on African youth. View this pitch deck to see how we present ourselves to employers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Expansion Lead, your mission is to grow The Room in your region while driving its commercial success and impact. You will build and oversee a high-performing team, run all day-to-day operations, and oversee revenue generation.
You will be responsible for:
- Serving as the local face of The Room: You will be The Room’s representative in key forums and with local media etc;
- P&L ownership: You will have full P&L ownership as you grow revenue and manage costs to ensure profitability and sustainability;
- Business development & partnerships: You will establish strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, and manage high level relationships;
- Student recruitment: Recruiting high volumes of students into our ALX training programs;
- Talent placement: Source opportunities from employers and fill job vacancies with talent outsourced from The Room; and
- Driving a culture of execution: You will serve as the custodian of The Room’s entrepreneurial ‘doer’ culture, rolling up your sleeves as a Founder- no job is out of scope.
- Student applications: How many students did your team recruit into our training programs?
- Placements: How many job vacancies did you staff with our talent?
- Customer satisfaction: How happy are our customers in your market?
- Commercial success: What is the Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) from talent placement, and gross profit?
- Social Impact: What % of our trainees in your market have reported their employment status?
- 5+ years of experience in management consulting, finance, or operations management;
- 3+ years experience building partnerships;
- Entrepreneurial DNA & high level of self-motivation;
- Strong business and financial acumen;
- Strong relationship-building skills & stakeholder management;
- ‘Roll up Sleeves’ GYSHIDO mindset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience building & managing lean, high-performance teams;
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, highly organised and agile.
- Data-Driven decision making;
- Highly proficient with G-suite, especially Google Sheets (intermediate skills minimum).
- Capable of building financial models;
- Flexibility to travel frequently around your region, as well as working late nights and weekends as and when required;
- Extensive network in the business community network;
- Built teams from the ground up or has demonstrated ability to work under uncertainty and bring structure in chaos;
- Proactivity, resourcefulness and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, flexible, and entrepreneurial environment. Ability to work independently.
- Concrete intrapreneurial or entrepreneurial experience;
- Experience in the recruitment, staffing or talent placement industries;
- Demonstrated ability to learn from experimentation and testing;
- Leadership experience and/or experience building and growing a team; and
- Experience and/or passion for new technologies and for closing the digital skills gap in the continent (and creating work opportunities for African youth in doing so!).
YOU WILL LOVE WORKING WITH US IF YOU ARE…
- A courageous initiator: You have an owners’ approach and you are proactive with what needs to be done; you also embrace risks and failure
- Humble & adaptable: You have a beginners’ mindset and you always seek to learn; you are also flexible and embrace pivoting
- A dreamer & adventurer: You are passionate about life, you have a growth mindset and you can thrive on uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory
- Resilient: You tackle difficult situations with a can-do attitude and are relentless in the pursuit of your goals
- Thrive in ambiguity: You can make decisions, and motivate others during times of uncertainty, incomplete information, and change.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and all applicants need to have work authorization to be considered.