Use this sample of Scrum Master interview questions to evaluate your candidates’ skills and find the best hire for your company.
Scrum Master interview questions
Scrum Masters coordinate software development projects. They coach team members and help them apply the Scrum framework throughout each project. Scrum masters also manage project timelines and facilitate effective problem solving.
A good candidate for this role will have a degree in Computer Science or similar field (although a different but relevant background may be suitable). Ideally, they will also have a Scrum Master certification or proven expertise in scrum techniques and artifacts.
A competent Scrum Master is a team player, with strong organizational and leadership skills. They also have an eye for detail with the ability to detect problems early on and think of smart solutions.
To effectively evaluate these skills, use these scrum interview questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe a problem/risk you identified before it became urgent. What steps did you take to alleviate the problem?
- When would you prefer Waterfall or Kanban over Scrum and why?
- Give an example of a time you removed an impediment.
- What are the pros and cons of the daily stand-up?
- What were your main responsibilities as a Scrum Master in your previous team?
- What agile frameworks are you familiar with?
- What kind of metrics do you use to track the progress of a sprint?
- On average, how long were the sprints under your supervision?
- What is your experience in writing reports for your scrum projects?
- Have you managed more than one team at a time?
- How do you give feedback to your teammates?
Some of the best behavioral interview questions for a scrum master:
- How would you motivate your team members when they feel discouraged?
- What would you do to integrate a new team member?
- Describe the biggest challenge you have faced as a Scrum Master. What did you learn from it?
You can find more behavioral interview questions here.