These sample HR Onboarding Manager interview questions can help you identify and select the ideal candidate to coordinate your company’s onboarding process.
HR Onboarding Manager Interview Questions
An effective onboarding process helps new employees settle in their roles, learn your company’s policies and get productive quickly. HR Onboarding Managers plan and coordinate onboarding tasks for all new hires like scheduling job-related trainings and helping employees fill out paperwork.
When hiring Onboarding Managers, look for people with an HR background. They should be familiar with labor legislation and employee recordkeeping. For example, they should know what information to ask from new hires (like contact details, bank accounts, Social Security Numbers) so they can enroll them to your employee database.
First days at a new job can be stressful since they require meeting new coworkers and getting used to job duties. Keep an eye out for candidates who are pleasant and help others feel comfortable. These candidates are more likely to make employees’ transition to their new job smooth.
The following interview questions will help you identify HR Onboarding Managers with experience in building onboarding programs for various employees like managers, remote workers and junior employees. Feel free to tweak or add questions to evaluate specific skills that are important to your company.
Operational and Situational questions
- It’s a new hire’s first day and you’re the one who would welcome them, but you’re running late. What would you do?
- How would you onboard a remote employee?
- What kind of training sessions would you organize for an employee who has no previous work experience?
- What are the necessary employment documents we need to hire a full-time, non-exempt employee?
- We’d like to give new hires a welcome package to get them excited about joining our company. What would you recommend?
- Describe your main responsibilities once you’re notified that a candidate has accepted a job offer.
- How would you measure the effectiveness of our onboarding process?
- How often would you meet with new hires (for example, their first week, month or quarter) and what would you discuss with them?
- Do you have experience with HRIS? If so, which ones?
- What tools or techniques do you use to organize your tasks and meet important deadlines? (for example, task management software or onboarding checklists)
- Please describe your personal experience as a new hire and give a few examples of good and poor onboarding practices you encountered. What have you learned from these experiences?
- When describing company policies and values, do you prefer to give one presentation to a group of new hires or discuss with each one separately? Why?
- What challenges have you faced when onboarding managers?
- What resources do you use to keep abreast of changes in labor legislation? (for example, HR websites, online communities)